Headaches

Josh G Biberdorf, DC -  - Chiropractor

Mountain View Chiropractic

Josh G Biberdorf, DC

Chiropractor located in Rapid City, SD

If you suffer from frequent or persistent headaches, know that you aren’t alone. The World Health Organization (WHO) says approximately half of the adult population worldwide experiences at least one headache per year. Regardless of the cause, headaches can negatively impact your quality of life. At Mountain View Chiropractic in Rapid City, South Dakota, Josh Biberdorf, DC, regularly diagnoses and treats headaches using safe, noninvasive techniques. To request your appointment, call the office or click the online booking tool today.

Headaches

What is a headache?

Headaches are one of the most common disorders that affect the nervous system. Everyone experiences headaches differently. Sometimes the pain is dull and throbbing; other times, it’s sharp and stabbing. Some people experience headaches once or twice a year, while others experience 15 or more headaches each month. In addition to being painful and annoying, headaches put a significant economic burden on society, accounting for millions of dollars in lost productivity every year. 

What causes headaches?

The majority of headaches–approximately 95%– are primary headaches and develop as a result of tension, poor posture, or stress. The other 5% of headaches develop as the result of an underlying physical problem. 

A common cause of headaches is muscle tension. If your job requires you to sit in front of a computer all day or stand on your feet for long periods of time, you’re at a higher risk of developing tension headaches as a result of tight muscles or stiff joints.

If you suffer from migraine headaches, common triggers might include spicy foods, pollution, loud noises, and bright lights.  

When should I see a chiropractor about headaches?

Most headaches subside on their own with rest and self-care. However, you should schedule an appointment with Dr. Biberdorf at Mountain View Chiropractic if: 

  • Your headaches occur frequently
  • Your headaches increase in severity
  • Your headaches interfere with sleep
  • Conservative methods of care don’t provide relief


You should also make an appointment with Dr. Biberdorf if your headaches are keeping you from work or other activities that you enjoy. 

How does chiropractic care treat headaches?

At Mountain View Chiropractic, Dr. Biberdorf uses holistic, noninvasive treatments to alleviate headaches and migraines. Following a physical exam, review of your medical history, and discussion of your symptoms, Dr. Biberdorf might recommend a series of chiropractic adjustments to improve spinal function and relieve inflammation. He might also provide nutritional advice, such as taking vitamins or supplements to promote bone and joint health. 

In addition, Dr. Biberdorf might recommend tips to improve your posture. For example, using a lower back pillow at work or participating in light exercise and stretches that promote circulation and ease inflammation. 

Headaches are common, but they don’t have to prevent you from living your best life. Call Mountain View Chiropractic or click the online booking tool to make an appointment today.